Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oh to crave...


"An intense desire to consume a particular food" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_craving) I hear about pregnant women and their cravings, but I have had intense cravings all my life, so I see no correlation there- and if anything I fear my cravings becoming more frequent or intense when I am with child. I am always craving something, as if there is a queue of cravings at any given time, and to the point that I cannot forget it until it is fulfilled. And all that nonsense about cravings coming from what your body is deficient in- I don't think so, because then I would crave healthier foods, meat and iron... but no- I think it's more psychological. Some sort of comfort found in a particular food. A week ago I started craving these Trader Joe's cinnamon graham crackers. They are nothing to rave about- but I thought it would go away and it did not- a whole week passed and I was still thinking about them- so I gave up a splendid parking spot (which should tell you right there that I must have really wanted them) and went to Trader Joe's and bought two boxes and ate probably ten! And a few days ago I started craving good old fashioned cheep high calorie and low nutrition- Kraft Macaroni & cheese. I just need a few bites! I have not yet had the chance to indulge on this but it has not left me since it started. Most of my cravings are pretty random, anything from creamsicles to circus peanuts, pickles or Thai food. Sometimes I really just need a taste and other times I go overboard. Some of my cravings come from commercials (I'm such a sucker to food marketing!) more frequently certain smells start the craving or memories of a particular flavor, or hearing somebody else talk about it.My husband knows that once I mention something that the item will show up in our fridge or cupboard within the week. I really can't explain- perhaps I am too indulgent- or this shows I may have addictive behavior. I'm not quite sure, but please tell me I'm not totally alone in this.. What's on your craving queue?