Thursday, May 27, 2010

Craving Paris

I don’t know if it’s possible to crave a city... but today I am most certainly craving Paris! Every now & then I get this feeling that I just need to be there. I remember my “Paris Walks” class- of course my favorite- taking on a new area of the city, walking, wandering, tasting, learning, and soaking it all in! Paris is certainly a fun place to visit, but it is even more fun to just BE there. To absorb the city without a set agenda and just let your curiosity/interest guide you from one place to the next. It’s beautiful and charming, and old and unique. The art and architecture and design are amazing and the history makes it even more rich and thought provoking. Sure the sights are amazing and awe- inspiring, but the quaint streets and the people just living their way of life somehow feels like home. I smile when I hear the language gliding through my ears. Everything tastes wonderful and every shop gleams with elegance. The scent of fresh bakeries and the sweetness in the air surrounding each crepe stand, it’s simply heaven. Of course Paris has its share of crazy people and European body odors, but it couldn't be Paris without a little of that to bring you back down to Earth every once in a while. It’s not just Paris, I crave France too- the small villages and Châteaux, the markets and smell of lavender sachets. The proximity to other countries and opportunities for adventure within arms reach in every direction. Oh please, take me there and leave me. Permettez-moi dormir et rever de Paris...