Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Everybody has a story...

It started with one simple question, "Where are you from?"
He was born in Jordan into a Bedouin tribe. They were a semi-nomadic people who lived as hunters and gatherers living off of the land. In the 19th century they weren't quite as transient but still often called "shepherds." He went to school as a boy in Jordan but as he grew up he wanted to finish high school. He researched various areas and found that he could get the best schooling and live for the cheapest amount in Cairo, Egypt. "Practically $50 a month for everything," he said and then reminded me this was in the 70's. He studied and worked until the day he graduated. That day he was thrilled and decided to treat himself to a nice brunch buffet. When he arrived, the place was so packed, "Worse than Mama's on Washington Square," he said. But he was lucky enough to find a little table for two open up. He sat down to enjoy his meal. A moment later he saw a gentleman approach the door and look around only to turn away in disappointment. "I waved to tell him he could join me. Why waste a table for two when I was only one?" he said. The gentleman joined him and after a nice meal he asked the man where he was staying. "It was a nearby hotel so I offered him to stay with me. I had a little place but room for two, and rent was already paid that month so it would be cheaper for him, " he said, "And since I was done with school I told him I could show him all around and be his guide." The man, Jerry, was very trusting and that afternoon they went to pick up his luggage and move him to the apartment. They had a maid come regularly to clean, "and she only took 10 Egyptian pounds at the end of the week," he said, "and that was a pretty good deal, but she had to earn her keep to you know."
As Jerry's visit was coming to an end, he asked... "Can you get me your school transcript?" So he did, and sure enough a month later he received a letter from Jerry with another letter enclosed. It was an admissions acceptance to San Jose City College.
"Jerry told me how I needed to take the letter to the American Embassy and apply for a visa. So I went and spoke with a nice lady from the consulate, just like you. And she asked me 'why do you want to go to America when there are good colleges here?'" So he told her about the John Wayne movies he had seen at the Metro Theater on Main street, and how beautiful those mountains in the pictures were and how he just had to go and see it. "She laughed a little and then told me to bring my passport in and she would give me a student visa."
When he came to America he studied and worked to pay for things, and later built a career in engineering.
Today he was my cab driver because he was recently laid off and needed a job to pay the bills until he can find something else. I didn't catch his name, but I heard his story during a ten minute cab ride, that I won't forget. This may likely only be the beginning of his story, or a chapter or two of the whole book.
But I have been thinking lately about how everyone has a story, and it is a series of the highs and lows that make up the details and the twists and turns. Some are known for their great accomplishments and others for their great hardships. I am still trying to create mine because it isn't very interesting yet, but we are all a work in progress. Coming from somewhere and going somewhere. We all have a little something to share or at least a different perspective. Because the reality is that nobody has walked in your shoes like you have... Some of have tread the same trails, together or at different times. But your path is unique to you, what you see, think, feel hear... who you meet and how you react... Everybody has a story.